About Mr Morris
Robert Morris trained at St Bartholomew’s Hospital part of the University of London London. He graduated with Honours in his final examinations. Before pursuing his chosen career in ophthalmology, he trained in General Medicine in London and obtained Membership of the Royal College of Physicians of London.
He completed his post-graduate ophthalmic training at the renowned units in Oxford Eye Hospital and London’s Moorfields Eye Hospital. He also spent a year at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, one of the United States top five training programmes.
An accredited Consultant within the National Health Service, Robert has held a position of Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Southampton General Hospital since 1991. Within the NHS, he has had a high volume cataract surgery practice and performed over 12,000 cataract procedures. He has an interest in squint surgery and is a national expert in this field. Throughout his career he has been involved in training junior doctors as well as newly appointed consultants in cataract and squint surgery.
In addition to his NHS work, Robert manages a successful independent private practice. He first carried out laser vision correction (PRK) in 1994. He continualy updates his training to keep abreast with the latest technology and techniques in refractive surgery. He is accredited to use the Visx, Alcon Wavelight and Zeiss Excimer lasers. Recently he has adopted Zeiss Smile technology into his practice.
As we cannot always use Laser Eye Surgery to treat presbyopia, Robert returned to the USA in 2002 for further expert training in this specialised area. He now has considerable expertise in Lens Replacement. Professional bodies have invited him to lecture alongside other world leaders in Lens Replacement at international meetings. He is now involved in training courses for other surgeons.
Rob’s other roles have included
- Chairman of the Wessex Deanery Education Committee responsible for the supervision of trainee ophthalmologists
- The Royal College of Ophthalmologists Regional Advisor for Ophthalmology in Wessex Region.
- Member of the The Royal College of Ophthalmologists Continuing Professional Development and Paediatric Ophthalmology Committees
- Robert has lectured and presented papers nationally and internationally on cataract, refractive and strabismus surgery and published over 35 papers in peer review journals.
- Robert founded Grange Eye Consultants to manage the increasing demand for more complex refractive surgery. Grange Eye Consultants has since expanded with service in private hospitals in Hampshire, Somerset, Oxford, Guildford and London.
- Most recently, Optegra Eye Hospitals appointed Robert as their Medical Director. In this role, he responsible for clinical standards in this leading eye hospital group.